Sun sign astrology is a simplified system of Western astrology which considers only the position of the Sun at birth, which is said to be placed within one of the twelve zodiac signs. This sign is then called the sun sign or star sign of the person born in that twelfth-part of the year. Sun sign astrologers take this basic twelve-fold division and relate all the current movements of all the planets to each other, using traditional rules to divine meanings for each sign separately. Because the Moon has the fastest apparent movement of all the heavenly bodies, it is often used as the main indicator of daily trends for sun sign astrology forecasts.
- What Are The Different Zodiac Signs And Dates
- All Horoscope Signs And Dates
- All Astrological Signs And Dates
- What Are The 13 Zodiac Signs And Their Dates
- All Astrology Signs And Dates
Sun sign (star sign) astrology is a pseudoscienceand the form of astrology most commonly found in many newspaper and magazine columns. Scientific investigations of the theoretical:249; basis and experimental verification of claims have shown it to have no scientific validity or explanatory power.:85;
All is ONE and ONE is all. By studying the Celtic Animal Zodiac signs and meanings we can help ourselves re-attune to nature in meaningful ways. Mother Nature, her cycles, the mythology that holds hidden meanings to many of life’s nagging questions are all a part of this system. A note about the dates given below: if a birth date in question falls on any of the cutoff dates, you will need to use a natal chart calculator and know the time of birth to determine the sign of Uranus. You can also use our tables that include times in ET. The following interpretations refer to the planets’ signs in the natal chart.
Although William Lilly in the 17th century was the first newspaper astrologer, sun sign astrology was not invented until 1930. The astrologer R. H. Naylor was claimed by his newspaper to have predicted the crash of the R101 airship. This led to pressure on Naylor to come up with a simplified system of astrology suitable for a newspaper column. After some experimentation, Naylor decided on sun signs..
The following table shows the zodiac names in Latin, with their English translation and the individuals' names. It also shows the element and quality associated with each sign. The starting and ending dates of the sun sign are approximate, as they may differ from one year to another (by a day or so), due to the fact that the earth's orbit around the sun is not synchronous with earth's rotation (one year does not comprehend a whole number of days). The exact date and time of sign entrance/exit (which is corresponded to the 12 'mid-climates' within Chinese lunisolar calendar) must be obtained with appropriate software or with the help of an ephemeris.
|Symbol||Sign names||Individuals' names||English name||Element||Quality|
|Period of sun sign with approx. dates|
1/2 days variation
|Capricorn||Capricorn||The Mountain Sea-Goat||Earth||Cardinal||Negative||Saturn||Winter Solstice (December 22) – the day before Great Cold|
|Aquarius||Aquarian||The Water-Bearer||Air||Fixed||Positive||Uranus (Saturn)||Great Cold (January 20) – the day before Vernal Showers|
|Pisces||Piscean||The Fish||Water||Mutable||Negative||Neptune (Jupiter)||Vernal Showers (February 19) – the day before Vernal Equinox|
|Aries||Arian/Arien||The Ram||Fire||Cardinal||Positive||Mars||Vernal Equinox (March 21) – the day before Corn Rain|
|Taurus||Taurean||The Bull||Earth||Fixed||Negative||Venus/Earth||Corn Rain (April 20 – the day before Corn Forms|
|Gemini||Geminian||The Twins||Air||Mutable||Positive||Mercury||Corn Forms (May 21) – the day before Summer Solstice|
|Cancer||Cancerian||The Crab||Water||Cardinal||Negative||Moon||Summer Solstice (June 21) – the day before Great Heat|
|Leo||Leo||The Lion||Fire||Fixed||Positive||Sun||Great Heat (July 24) – the day before End of Heat|
|Virgo||Virgin||The Maiden||Earth||Mutable||Negative||Mercury||End of Heat (August 23) – the day before Autumnal Equinox|
|Libra||Libran||The Scales||Air||Cardinal||Positive||Venus||Autumnal Equinox (September 23) – the day before First Frost|
|Scorpio||Scorpio||The Scorpion||Water||Fixed||Negative||Pluto (Mars)||First Frost (October 23) – the day before Light Snow|
|Sagittarius||Sagittarian||The Archer||Fire||Mutable||Positive||Jupiter||Light Snow (November 23) – the day before Winter Solstice|
- Traditional planets in brackets
What Are The Different Zodiac Signs And Dates
All Horoscope Signs And Dates
- ^Sven Ove Hansson; Edward N. Zalta. 'Science and Pseudo-Science'. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
There is widespread agreement for instance that creationism, astrology, homeopathy, Kirlian photography, dowsing, ufology, ancient astronaut theory, Holocaust denialism, Velikovskian catastrophism, and climate change denialism are pseudosciences.
- ^Hartmann, P.; Reuter, M.; Nyborga, H. (May 2006). 'The relationship between date of birth and individual differences in personality and general intelligence: A large-scale study'. Personality and Individual Differences. 40 (7): 1349–1362. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2005.11.017.
To optimise the chances of finding even remote relationships between date of birth and individual differences in personality and intelligence we further applied two different strategies. The first one was based on the common chronological concept of time (e.g. month of birth and season of birth). The second strategy was based on the (pseudo-scientific) concept of astrology (e.g. Sun Signs, The Elements, and astrological gender), as discussed in the book Astrology: Science or superstition? by Eysenck and Nias (1982).
- ^Vishveshwara, edited by S.K. Biswas, D.C.V. Mallik, C.V. (1989). Cosmic Perspectives: Essays Dedicated to the Memory of M.K.V. Bappu (1. publ. ed.). Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. ISBN978-0-521-34354-1.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- ^Peter D. Asquith, ed. (1978). Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association, vol. 1(PDF). Dordrecht: Reidel. ISBN978-0-917586-05-7.; 'Chapter 7: Science and Technology: Public Attitudes and Understanding'. science and engineering indicators 2006. National Science Foundation. Archived from the original on 1 February 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
About three-fourths of Americans hold at least one pseudoscientific belief; i.e., they believed in at least 1 of the 10 survey items'.. ' Those 10 items were extrasensory perception (ESP), that houses can be haunted, ghosts/that spirits of dead people can come back in certain places/situations, telepathy/communication between minds without using traditional senses, clairvoyance/the power of the mind to know the past and predict the future, astrology/that the position of the stars and planets can affect people's lives, that people can communicate mentally with someone who has died, witches, reincarnation/the rebirth of the soul in a new body after death, and channeling/allowing a 'spirit-being' to temporarily assume control of a body.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- ^Carlson, Shawn (1985). 'A double-blind test of astrology'(PDF). Nature. 318 (6045): 419–425. Bibcode:1985Natur.318.419C. doi:10.1038/318419a0.
- ^Zarka, Philippe (2011). 'Astronomy and astrology'. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union. 5 (S260): 420–425. Bibcode:2011IAUS.260.420Z. doi:10.1017/S1743921311002602.
- ^Jeffrey Bennett; Megan Donohue; Nicholas Schneider; Mark Voit (2007). The cosmic perspective (4th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Pearson/Addison-Wesley. pp. 82–84. ISBN978-0-8053-9283-8.
- ^'Zodiac.' McGraw–Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology. The McGraw–Hill Companies, Inc., 2005. Answers.com 29 Nov. 2007. http://www.answers.com/topic/zodiac
- ^ ab'Astrology 101: What Are the Real Dates for Astrology Signs?'. gryphonastrology.com. 2009-07-05. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- ^ ab'Astrology Chart Generator'. astrologyweekly.com. 2004-04-27. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- ^ abcZerner, Amy (2014). Sun Sign Secrets: The Complete Astrology Guide to Love, Work, and Your Future. 665 Third Street Suite 400 San Francisco, CA 94107: Weiser Books. pp. 42, 64, 127. ISBN9781578635610.CS1 maint: location (link)